Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Apropos of nothing...

Quote of the day:
He had never learned to live without delight. And he would have to learn to, just as, in a Prohibition country, he supposed he would have to learn to live without sherry. Theoretically he knew that life is possible, may be even pleasant, without joy, without passionate griefs. But it had never occurred to him that he might have to live like that.
From The Professor's House by Willa Cather, 1925

'Cause, you know, sometimes I just like a quote and it has nothing to do with feminism. I've loved this quote since I first read The Professor's House as an undergrad. Also, this was one of my (ex, ex, ex) ex's favorite books, so here you go RJ.

And besides all that, Cather kicks ass.

2 comments:

  1. I love Cather too! Another quote from her:
    "There are only two or three human stories, and they go on repeating themselves as fiercely as if they had never happened before."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember coming across this quote when I read that book too, and it left me uncertain whether to feel happy or sad.

    ReplyDelete