Drink up -- assuming you like arsenic, that is
You may notice that this story is kind of old. Why is it included in this week's Miscellanea post? Because, even though the court ordered the prison to fix this problem years ago, no progress has been made and the inmates continue to drink toxic water. After all they are just inmates. It's not like they're human or something.
In my neckathewoods, everyone's all fired up about loosening gun laws and basically allowing anyone without a felony conviction to carry a gun just about anywhere. Cuz of the safety and all. Because we all know that having a gun on your belt prevents you from getting shot, right? I mean, it totally worked in Tuscon:
Myth of the Hero Gunslinger
On the cognitive benefits of nature:
Thoreau Was Right: Nature Hones the Mind
A Food Manifesto for the Future
- End government subsidies to processed food.
- Begin subsidies to those who produce and sell actual food for direct consumption.
- Break up the U.S. Department of Agriculture and empower the Food and Drug Administration.
- Outlaw concentrated animal feeding operations and encourage the development of sustainable animal husbandry.
- Encourage and subsidize home cooking.
- Tax the marketing and sale of unhealthful foods.
- Reduce waste and encourage recycling.
- Mandate truth in labeling.
- Reinvest in research geared toward leading a global movement in sustainable agriculture, combining technology and tradition to create a new and meaningful Green Revolution.
The result of constantly cutting taxes and spending?
A generation of malnourished, undereducated kids. Which is fine if you're a wealthy conservative politician who knows that your children will never have to "tighten their belts" or forgo medical care when they're sick or receive substandard education...
OK, so they hate health care for poor people and deficit spending (except when it's spending that benefits one of their causes) and gun control and the Gays. So what does the GOP love? Greenhouse Gasses, baby:
Upton Looks to Block Greenhouse Gas Rules
Another reason not to give birth in a hospital?
Rules on Cameras in Delivery Rooms Stir Passions
Monsanto wins again. Small farmers, organic farmers, local co-ops? Screwed.
Genetifically Modified Alfalfa Officially On The Way