Thursday, May 3, 2012

A post about how it really should be Friday

You guys.

I cannot get over the feeling that it should be Friday. And I cannot get in the mood to blog about anything serious. I can, however, pass along some totally mindless yet entertaining tidbits:

I'm a tiny bit obsessed with milk glass mugs right now, so I've been shopping for sets of them on eBay.




I really need a set of these, right?


Second, here's a fabulous flash mob video to brighten up a dull Thursday (since as it turns out today is Thursday)



And two somewhat less mindless but equally interesting items:

You really should read this short but fantastic piece What Isn’t for Sale? over at the Atlantic. For what it's worth, the transition from having a market economy to being a market society that he describes so well is roughly the same thing I'm referring to when I mention (aka "yammer on about") Habermas' concept of the colonization of the lifeworld.  Good stuff.


And finally, I was thinking this morning how ironic it is when people reference a person who successfully started a business by borrowing $20,000 from their parents as "pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps." Ahem.  People whose parents happen to have $20k lying around don't generally have to pull themselves up by anything. And suggesting to young people who may be economically disadvantaged that they borrow money from their parents to start a business is ... insulting? ...offensive? ...privilege-blind? Something like that.

Not that I don't like Jimmy Johns. Crunchy pickles get me every time.


Happy Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. Natalie5/03/2012

    Ooh that flash mob just make me happy. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shannigan5/03/2012

    I vote for the diamond mugs. I'm pretty sure my grandparents had those. And some with brown wheat stalks on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/04/2012

    But now it's Friday, and time for a pre-cinco margarita. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovelovelove the flash mob!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for the orangey-yellowy flower mugs.

    I thought What Isn't for Sale was very well-written, and it's a shame that the people who could actually make a difference regarding the corruption in our economic system will most likely never be exposed to these ideas.

    ReplyDelete